Stewart in Houston County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Established in 1860 as a station on the Memphis, Clarksville & Louisville Railroad, Stewart Station was named for Duncan Stewart, an early settler in this area. His settlement is believed to be the first in what is now Houston County. By 1878 the town had a population of 100 and contained stores, shops, saloons, and a school, church, stave and shingle factory, and lime kiln.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3E 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 36° 19.123′ N, 87° 50.312′ W. Marker is in Stewart, Tennessee, in Houston County. Marker is on State Highway 147 east of Old Stewart Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5805 Highway 147, Stewart TN 37175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Limekilns (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Wells Creek BasinMorrison's Brigade (approx. 11.1 miles away); Heiman's Brigade (approx. 11.1 miles away); Maney's Battery (approx. 11.1 miles away); Wharton's Brigade (approx. 11.1 miles away); French's Battery (approx. 11.2 miles away); Confederate Breakout (approx. 11.2 miles away).
Also see . . . From the Archives: Founder of Our County. Stewart County Standard article on Duncan Stewart. Posted Oct. 27, 2016. (Submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.