Near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Preserving the History of the Battlefield
[Inscription under the photo in the upper left] The Cooch family has resided at nearby Cooch’s Bridge since 1746, the year that Colonel Thomas Cooch emigrated from England with his family. He operated a flour mill at the site, was active in civic affairs and was a colonel in the Delaware militia before and during the Revolutionary War. He built the Cooch house in 1760, which was subsequently enlarged by his grandson, General William Cooch and by his great-grandson, Levi Griffith Cooch.
Eight generations of the Cooch family have resided in the house and the family has been active in agriculture, public service, the milling industry and the law.
[Inscription under the photo in the lower left] Edward W. Cooch, Jr. is pictured on the porch of the Cooch house with the 2006 W3R marchers who passed through this area on the way to Yorktown, recreating the Washington-Rochambeau march of 1781. This is one of the many reenactment activities he hosted at the Cooch
[Inscription under the photo in the upper center] This monument is located in front of the Cooch homestead on Old Baltimore Pike, next to the bridge over the Christiana River. Dedicated September 3, 1901, it was erected by several patriotic societies and citizens of Delaware. Made of Brandywine blue rock, it stands over eight feet high and is surrounded by four cannons more than nine feet long which weigh in excess of thirty-four hundred pounds each.
[Inscription beside the photo in the lower right] The newly-adopted 13 star flag may have been flown for the first time during the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge. On June 14, 1777 the Second Continental Congress passed the Flag Resolution which stated “Resolved, that the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternated red and white; that the union field representing a new constellation.["]
“Circumstantial evidence suggests that the flag was the first flown during the battle, although the claim has not been proven” and “if not flown first here, then where?"—Ned Cooch
[Inscription under the photo in the upper right] Colonel Thomas Cooch and his family evacuated the house shortly after the British army landed at Head of the Elk on the Chesapeake Bay in August 1777, the beginning of the Philadelphia Campaign.
Erected by Pencader Heritage Area Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 39° 38.382′ N, 75° 43.776′ W. Marker is near Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Sunset Lake Road (Delaware Route 72) south of Old Baltimore Pike, on the right when traveling south. The marker is on the grounds of the Pencader Heritage Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2029 Sunset Lake Road, Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pencader Heritage Museum (here, next to this marker); French General Comte de Rochambeau and the French Army Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hessian Soldiers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Royal Deux-Ponts Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware MilitiaGermans & German-Americans in The American War of Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Cooch's Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on September 8, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.