Lancaster in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The Thompson Legacy
Looking NW across Israel's River you will see the remnants of the Thompson Manufacturing Company
Although manufacturing took place here for some years, highly skilled Alexander and Daniel Thompson arrived in 1865. By 1884 the company bore their name. Thompson Manufacturing held patents on many of the machines it designed and built to produce products of wood and metal. By 1965 it was the only source of wood cogs in the world. Business flourished from 1956 to 1975. In the 1960's hard maple bowling alley flooring evolved into butcherblock, bringing Thompson Manufacturing Company to the wide-spread attention of businesses, schools and homeowners. The need for expansion became urgent, and the company was sold to a larger firm. TMC merged with Quality Maple Block of Kingston NY. However, not one of the officers or skilled crafts men was willing to move away from Lancaster. "The Thompson” closed its doors in 1975, and Quality Maple Block a year later.
The buildings remained unused until 1987 when Alexis Moser began the extensive renovation that you see today. Harland Cantin continues to manufacture cogs in Guildhall
Photo (about 1912) courtesy of the Lancaster Historical Society
Erected by Connecticut River Joint Commission, Lancaster New Hampshire, New Hampshire Trails Bureau, University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 44° 29.265′ N, 71° 34.189′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, New Hampshire, in Coos County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 2) north of Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster NH 03584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lancaster Main Street Program’s (within shouting distance of this marker); First Church of Lancaster (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lancaster War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Col. Edward Cross (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Lancaster War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Stone House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wilder-Holton House (approx. ¾ mile away); Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and Places (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.