Paris in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
E.W. Grove-Henry County High School
The E. W. Grove-Henry County High School was one of Tennessee's first privately-endowed public high schools. Chattanooga architect Reuben Harrison Hunt designed Grove Tower, the school's first building. The cornerstone, laid on June 26, 1906, included a bottle of Grove's Tasteless Chill Tonic made by Edwin Wiley Grove's Paris Medicine Company. Principal Dudley M. Clements taught the nation's first vocational agricultural program here under the 1917 Smith-Hughes Act. In 1930, he founded the first Future Farmers of America leadership training camp in Doyle, Tennessee.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 36° 17.569′ N, 88° 19.729′ W. Marker is in Paris, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from Grove Boulevard. The marker is located near the parking area at the southeast corner of the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Grove Boulevard, Paris TN 38242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E. W. Grove High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Thomas Clarke Rye (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gov. James D. Porter Home (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henry County Courthouse / Henry County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.7 miles away); Henry County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mandle/Harding House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . .
1. E.W. Grove Henry County High School. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
2. Tennessee FFA: Tradition and Transformation (PDF). History of the organization, by Savannah Grandey and Carroll Van West of the Middle Tennessee State University Center for Historic Preservation. (Submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.