Paris in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
First congregation formed in the 1820s on Market Street
Worshipped in building on Poplar Street 1866 - 1913
First Sunday school class formed by J.S. Brown in 1860
First vacation bible school in Paris — 1890
Worshipped in Circuit Court room of court house 1913 - 1917
Otto Hauri, contractor for this building
First service in this location 1917
Erected 2008 by Captain Charles Barham Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list.
Location. 36° 18.079′ N, 88° 19.576′ W. Marker is in Paris, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of South Market Street and West Blythe Street, on the right when traveling north on South Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 South Market Street, Paris TN 38242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry County Courthouse / Henry County (about Confederate Soldiers (about 500 feet away); Henry County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Edwin Wiley Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Davis Porter (approx. ¼ mile away); Slave (approx. ¼ mile away); Paris City Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); John Wesley Crockett (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.