Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

North Lake in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

North Lake

 
 
North Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, June 27, 2020
1. North Lake Marker
Inscription.  The site of the future North Lake began at the crossroads of two Indian paths. Ralph Allen was the first white man to stake a claim in 1837. John Fischer also arrived early in 1839. The government gave 500 acres to Col. Henry Shears who became the first landowner and built the first sawmill; quickly followed by the general store, post office, brewery, hotel, blacksmith shop, harness maker, wagon maker, creamery, stock yards, and lumber company. The most colorful business was the brewery started by Rasmus Frederickson in 1863. The brewery, Hanson Brothers, is still family owned and operating as a tavern today. Dr. Byron Kilbourn, son of Byron Kilbourn, Sr. who helped to found Milwaukee, became very important to North Lake and built a large mansion called Hawkhurst in the 1860s.

In 1898, W.B.H. Kerr built a grain elevator when the Milwaukee and Superior Railroad arrived, and North Lake became a farm produce shipping center. The first school named after John Fischer, was built in 1846 and was called Fischer's Flats. There were three original churches in North Lake; St. Peter's Episcopal in 1867, North Lake Presbyterian Church in 1903, and

North Lake marker next to Veteran's Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, July 2020
2. North Lake marker next to Veteran's Memorial
St. Clare's Catholic Church in 1916.

In 1910, ice harvesting began on North Lake. An 1800-foot spur of the railroad was built to load the ice onto the railcars, so it could be shipped to Milwaukee. This continued until 1923. Seventy-five men were employed to cut the ice and ship it. People could come in from other cities and towns, first by horse or wagon and later by train to enjoy the resorts on the lake; the North Lake Hotel, the Henry Shears Resort, which became Schuchardt's Resort, and the Elm Springs Villa.
 
Erected 2020 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-01.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 43° 9.385′ N, 88° 22.144′ W. Marker is in North Lake, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Park Road 0.1 miles east of State Route 83, on the right when traveling east. Next to the Town of Merton Veteran's Memorial, just west of the fire station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Park Road, North Lake WI 53064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Bank (approx. 2.2 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Monches

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 2˝ miles away); Carl Schurz Forest (approx. 2.8 miles away); Martin C. Weber, Sr. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Village of Merton (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 3.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2020, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on September 9, 2020, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Photos:   1. submitted on June 27, 2020, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on July 23, 2020, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021