Paris in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Robert E. Lee School
This historic site was dedicated to education in 1825 by the founding citizens of Paris and Henry County. It was the Paris Male Academy, a private school, until 1881, when public education began as the Paris City School. Around 1906 the building was named for General Robert E. Lee.
Elementary classes were held here until 1975. The building is now the home for the Academy of Arts, providing education in the cultural arts, serving persons of all ages.
Erected 2006 by Captain Charles Barham Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list.
Location. 36° 18.345′ N, 88° 19.767′ W. Marker is in Paris, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street and Crawford Street, on the left when traveling north on Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Lee St, Paris TN 38242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerParis Henry County Heritage Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry County Courthouse / Henry County (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); David Edward Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); John DeWitt Clinton Atkins (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slave (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2020. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2020. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.