Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded in 1868 in Bastrop, the Texas Military Institute moved to Austin in 1870. The same year, this Victorian “Castle” was built to serve as headquarters for the young men’s preparatory school. Prominently sited on top of a hill in view of the Capitol, the structure was owned by the Texas Military Institute until the school formally closed in 1880. From 1884 until 1887, the TMI Castle was the site of Jacob Bickler’s Texas German and English Academy.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14935.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Military • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 16.596′ N, 97° 45.224′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West 11th Street east of Blanco Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1111 W 11th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House The William Green Hill House (about 700 feet away); Judge Calvin Maples Cureton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Okewell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fischer House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Las Ventanas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pease Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wood Street Settlement at Shoal Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,624 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on September 11, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on September 11, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.