Near D'Hanis in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery
Congregation formed in 1847 with founding of D'Hanis Colony by settlers from Alsace, France.
In 1853, when town became a mission parish, limestone church was built, using timber hauled by ox-wagon from Medina River.
Sandstone extension was built in 1868 upon arrival of first resident pastor but abandoned after 1914 when new church was built in "New" D'Hanis (1.5 miles west).
Cemetery, dating from burial of child of colonists in 1847, was used until 1893, when new cemetery was started following diphtheria epidemic.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4718.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 29° 19.647′ N, 99° 15.559′ W. Marker is near D'Hanis, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 5226 (County Highway 5226) and County Highway 5231, on the left when traveling south on County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of D'Hanis (a few steps from this marker); J.M. Koch's Hotel (approx. 1.2 miles away); D'Hanis (approx. 1.3 miles away); D'Hanis Brick and Tile Company (approx. 1.6 miles away); Richarz Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fort Lincoln (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 5.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hondo Army Air Field (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Hanis.
Also see . . . D'Hanis History. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.