First Unitarian Universalist Church
Established in 1833 by Rev. Dr. Theodore Clapp, a Congregationalist minister who served as pastor until 1856. The church became Unitarian in 1837.
The first church building, known as the Strangers' Church, could hold more than 2,000 worshippers and was the former First Presbyterian Church located on St. Charles Street near Gravier Street, erected in 1819 by William Brand, architect-builder.
After the first building burned in 1851, the Unitarians constructed an octagonal church designed by John Barnett, architect. This church was called the Church of the Messiah and was located on St. Charles Street near Julia Street.
In 1902 the congregation moved to Peters Avenue (renamed Jefferson Avenue in 1924) at South Rampart Street (renamed Danneel Street in 1910) and built a Gothic Revival church designed by Robert Spencer Soulé, architect. The congregation replaced the structure with a Modernist building by architect Albert C. Ledner in 1958.
In 1994 the congregation moved to this building, constructed as the First Evangelical and Reformed Church, designed by architect Carl L. Olschner, and originally dedicated
Erected 2015 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) ⛪ series list.
Location. 29° 56.466′ N, 90° 6.565′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on South Claiborne Avenue (U.S. 90) near Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2903 Jefferson Avenue, New Orleans LA 70115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (approx. ¼ mile away); Tulane Stadium (approx. half a mile away); Zimmermann Residence (approx. half a mile away); Newcomb Pottery Garden (approx. 0.7 miles away); Valence (approx. ¾ mile away); H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College (approx. ¾ mile away); Carrollton No. 2 (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.