Near Markley in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Stone Houses
Named for shapes resembling teepees; an Indian ceremonial ground, yielding war paint. In famed "Battle of Stone Houses," Nov. 10, 1837, Lt. A. Van Benthousen and 18 Rangers (hunting stolen horses) were attacked 1.5 miles west of here by 150 Keechis. Ten Rangers and 50 Indians died in 3-hour battle. Indians fired the grass. Rangers lost their horses but escaped through a ravine and walked back to settlements.
In 1874, area's first permanent home was built near the stone houses (and 5 mi. W of here) by English-born Dr. R. O. Prideaux (1844-1930), who helped organize this county.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5432.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 33° 25.849′ N, 98° 27.452′ W. Marker is near Markley, Texas, in Young County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 16 and Prideaux Road, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 16. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Exodus 1859 (a few steps from this marker); Markley Cemetery Decoration Day (approx. 4˝ miles away).
Also see . . . The Battle of the Knobs or The Battle of Stone Houses - A story of 2 locations. The Texas History Notebook (Submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.