Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Andrew Lee Brock
Tennessee native Andrew Lee Brock (1830-1904) moved to Caldwell County in 1848, and he married Rebecca Montgomery Wayland. Two years later, Rebecca's father gave the couple a parcel of land on Boggy Creek as a wedding gift, and Brock built a log cabin on the site. Brock cultivated cotton, grains and vegetables and also operated a cotton gin on his property. The growing family later relocated to a house on 201 acres, and Brock enlarged the house to accommodate nine children. Brock raised and sold mules and horses, and was also a prolific developer in Lockhart's business district. Many of the twelve commercial buildings financed by Andrew Lee Brock remain in use today.
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836 - 2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16932.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 29° 52.91′ N, 97° 40.152′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 South Colorado Street, Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Plum Creek (a few steps from this marker); Caldwell County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. D. Port Smythe (approx. ¼ mile away); Caldwell County (approx. ¼ mile away); Caldwell County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
Also see . . . The Brock Cabin History. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.