Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bryant in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ebenezer Church

 
 
Ebenezer Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 12, 2020
1. Ebenezer Church Marker
Inscription.  Ebenezer Baptist Church is the oldest church on the northern end of Sand Mountain. Its origins date back to an 1850s log church and school called Gordon Chapel. Renamed Ebenezer, the church became a member of the Tennessee River Baptist Association circa 1875. Pioneer preachers of the church included the reverends Z. H. Gordon, Thomas L. Quarles, J. C. Lambert, and Thomas J. (Tom) Smith.

In 1909, the log church was replaced with a white, wood-framed building located on three acres of land donated by James Monroe and Millie Winters. In use for a half-century, the second structure burned on January 18, 1959. The congregation worshipped at the American Legion Hall until July 1960, when the church's third sanctuary was completed. During the previous century, the church was affiliated at different times with the Lookout Valley (Georgia) Baptist Association and the Sand Mountain Baptist Association.
 
Erected 2019 by Ebenezer Baptist Church; Jackson County Historical Association; Bryant Ruritan Club; Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion
Ebenezer Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 12, 2020
2. Ebenezer Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 34° 56.261′ N, 85° 37.44′ W. Marker is near Bryant, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on County Road 90, 0.1 miles east of Alabama Route 73, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 County Road 90, Bryant AL 35958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The TVA System of Multipurpose Dams (approx. 4½ miles away in Tennessee); Trail of Tears (approx. 4.7 miles away); Love's Ferry (approx. 4.9 miles away in Tennessee); In Rememberance of Those Who Served (approx. 5 miles away); Bridgeport (approx. 5.8 miles away); White Oak Gap (approx. 6.3 miles away in Georgia); a different marker also named Trail of Tears (approx. 6.8 miles away); Fort McCook (approx. 6.8 miles away in Tennessee).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=156122

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022