Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The greenhouse is a reproduction and partial reconstruction of one that served the Frick family from 1897 through the 1970s. When Henry and Adelaide Frick purchased Clayton in 1882, they had a small greenhouse built near the Homewood Avenue fence line. It was used to grow flowers and tropical plants for Clayton, annuals for seed for outdoor beds and a variety of vegetables, and mushrooms for household use. In 1897, the Fricks engaged architects Alden & Harlow to undertake several building projects on their estate. The firm, which had offices in Pittsburgh and Boston, made minor renovations to Clayton and created a playhouse for the Frick children as well as a new greenhouse. The original Homewood Avenue greenhouse was demolished and a larger, new structure was built here.
David Fraser, employed by the Frick family as head gardener and horticulturist, managed the greenhouse and the grounds at Clayton from 1896 - 1935.
In the first few years at Clayton, the Fricks purchased their greenhouse supplies from at least five different local merchants.
Although mushrooms were difficult
This archival photo shows the 1897 Alden & Harlow greenhouse is a reconstruction that incorporates some of the original building materials.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Horticulture & Forestry.
Location. 40° 26.873′ N, 79° 54.075′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from Reynolds Street just west of South Lexington Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7227 Reynolds St, Pittsburgh PA 15208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Playhouse (a few steps from this marker); Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); Kitchen Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Frick Art Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Gift from Henry Clay Frick (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westinghouse Gas Wells (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.