Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fourth Avenue National Register Historic District
PIttsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation
Pittsburgh industry boomed 1890 and 1910, leading to the development of Pittsburgh's "Wall Street," the Fourth Avenue financial district. Growth of the district was first spurred by the flow of corporate income of the burgeoning iron and steel industry. By 1908, only New York City's national banks held more money than those of Pittsburgh.
The architecture of the financial district during this era signified Pittsburgh's emerging prominence as an industrial and financial power. In just two years—1901-02—five major banking and office buildings were constructed on Fourth Avenue: the Arrott Building, Peoples Savings Bank building, Colonial Trust Company, Keystone Bank, and the Pittsburgh Bank for Savings. Many others soon followed, including this building, the Union National Bank, built in 1906. Pittsburgh's most important turn-of-the-century architectural firms—Alden & Harlow, MacClure & Spahr, Janssen & Cocken, and Frederick J. Osterling—participated in the boom period, designing many of the prestigious banking houses and early monumental skyscrapers that have survived to the present time.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 26.36′ N, 80° 0.073′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Avenue and Wood Street, on the right when traveling east on 4th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Wood St, Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arrott Building (a few steps from this marker); High Water Mark (within shouting distance of this marker); William Thaw (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Trust Company-Lawyers Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Louis Kossuth (within shouting distance of this marker); Benedum-Trees Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burke's Landmark (about 400 feet away); Martin R. Delany (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.