Near Fort Payne in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
DeKalb County, Alabama
Feb. 1, 1841 — May 1, 1878
Erected by Cherokee Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 1, 1841.
Location. 34° 21.95′ N, 85° 48.985′ W. Marker is near Fort Payne, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 293 and County Road 52, on the right when traveling south on County Road 293. Marker is located at the former DeKalb County Courthouse, now a private residence. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Payne AL 35968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lebanon Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Trail of Tears (approx. 6.2 miles away); Fort Payne Cabin Historic Site (approx. 7.3 miles away); Main Street Historic District (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cherokee Indian RemovalIndian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 7½ miles away); Collinsville Historic District (approx. 7½ miles away); Fires and Floods (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Payne.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.