South Padre Island in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Padre J. Nicolas Balli
Padre Island, off the South Texas coast, is named for Padre Jose Nicolas Balli (177?-1829), whose family migrated from Spain in 1569 and became large landowners in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. In 1800 Balli applied to King Charles IV of Spain for 11 1/2 leagues of land on the island, and in 1804 started its first settlement, Rancho Santa Cruz. Padre Balli served as collector of finances for all the churches in the Rio Grande Valley and founded the first mission in present Cameron County. Padre Balli's ministry was a great influence on the lives of early South Texas settlers.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3909.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1569.
Location. 26° 5.099′ N, 97° 10.041′ W. Marker is in South Padre Island, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on Queen Isabella Causeway, 0.1 miles west of Padre Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Padre Island TX 78597, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 milesBrazos Santiago (approx. 1.2 miles away); Queen Isabel Inn (approx. 2.4 miles away); Port of Matamoros (approx. 2½ miles away); Old Point Isabel Lighthouse (approx. 2½ miles away); A View from the Top (approx. 2½ miles away); Point Isabel Lighthouse (approx. 2½ miles away); Charles Champion (approx. 2½ miles away); Port Isabel, C.S.A. (approx. 2.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Padre Balli History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.