Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Albright in Preston County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Albright / Albright Family

 
 
Albright Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 16, 2014
1. Albright Marker
Inscription.  
Albright. In 1812, David Albright, a War of 1812 soldier, settled on Muddy Creek with his family. In 1821, he purchased 687 acres on the Cheat River. A bridge was built across the river in 1828 and the area was called Albrightsville. The name was shortened by the Post Office in 1882. The M&K Railroad reached town in 1906. Albright was incorporated in 1914.

Albright Family. Members of the Albright family played an important role in the development of Albright. They established a bank, oil company and store. By 1913, 358 people lived in the community. In 1914 Staley Albright and other local leaders incorporated Albright. Descendants of original settler, David Albright, resided in town until the 1980s.
 
Erected 2012 by West Virginia Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political SubdivisionsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 39° 
Albright Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 16, 2014
2. Albright Marker
29.676′ N, 79° 38.645′ W. Marker is in Albright, West Virginia, in Preston County. Marker is at the intersection of North Preston Highway (Route 26) and St. Joe Road (Local Route 7/12), on the right when traveling north on North Preston Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albright WV 26519, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dunkard Bottom (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Iron Furnace (approx. 2.4 miles away); Imagining an Iron Furnace in Operation (approx. 2˝ miles away); “The Pines” (approx. 2.7 miles away); Price's Tavern (approx. 2.8 miles away); Preston County Courthouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Kingwood (approx. 2.8 miles away); William G. Brown (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albright.
 
Additional comments.
1. The Morgantown and Kingswood Railroad
By 1925 the M&K was operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as their branch line to Morgantown. A 1925 B&O timetable showed three passenger trains operating in each direction through Albright. The 9:37 AM, and the 4:55 and 6:32 PM trains arrived in Morgantown at 11:20, 6:35 and 8:07. Trains in the other direction at 7:49 AM, and at 2:28 and 4:55 PM took 39 minutes to get to Rowlesburg where connections were available on the B&O to the rest of the country.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
    — Submitted July 6, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

 
Additional keywords. Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on September 16, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the reverse of the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2020