Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Grosse Pointe Shores in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall

 
 
Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall Marker - Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 17, 2020
1. Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall Marker - Side 1
Inscription.  
Side 1
The Village of Grosse Pointe Shores incorporated in 1911. After a few years of holding meetings in local homes, the village council purchased this property to build a village hall. Albert Kahn, who later designed the Fisher Building in Detroit, created plans for the hall. The village council held its first meeting here in 1915. The hall originally housed local government offices, including the police and fire stations. It also served as a community center, where residents could enjoy motion pictures, town dances and the first public library in the Grosse Pointes. In 1929, the upper level was converted into apartments for public safety officers. In the 1960s, fire doors were expanded to accommodate new fire trucks and office renovations modernized the building's interior.

Side 2
In 1982, after the ceiling of the village superintendent's office fell in, structural engineers decided that the village hall was unsafe for continued use. The council hired architect Robert C. Wakely to design the restoration and renovation project. In addition to fixing structural issues, Wakely and Associates made the
Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall Marker - Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 17, 2020
2. Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall Marker - Side 2
building barrier-free, including the hall's new elevator tower, staircase and side entrance. Wakely maintained Albert Kahn's structural design and style, creating an addition that could stand on its own while fitting in with the restored arches and brickwork of the original structure. After its completed renovation in 1984, the village hall received four architectural awards for success in preserving historic integrity while implementing necessary changes.
 
Erected 2018 by Michigan Historical Commission — Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2308.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEntertainmentNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 26.218′ N, 82° 52.597′ W. Marker is in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Lake Shore Road north of Vernier Road. Marker is in front of the building and can be seen from the Lake Shore Road parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 795 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe MI 48236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milk River Settlement (approx. 1.2 miles away); Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 17, 2020
3. Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall and Marker
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Fractional District No. 9 School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Grosse Pointe Farms Water Filtration Plant (approx. 2.1 miles away); This Bell House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Grosse Pointe Farms Sewage Pumping Station (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blossom Heath Inn (approx. 2.6 miles away); Shore Line Interurban Railway (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2020