New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Judge John Howard Ferguson House
Built in 1870 in Gothic Revival style for John Howard Ferguson an attorney who came to Louisiana from Martha's Vineyard and served in the Louisiana Legislature from 1877 to 1880 and then became a judge in Criminal District Court.
The House remained in the Ferguson Family until 1920.
In 1854 this area was subdivided as Burtheville and was part of Jefferson Parish until 1870 when it was annexed by the City of New Orleans.
Erected 1989 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Landmarks.
Location. 29° 55.817′ N, 90° 7.273′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Henry Clay Avenue and Hurst Street, on the right when traveling south on Henry Clay Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Land Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miss Susie Ellermann's House (approx. Classic Designs (approx. half a mile away); Audubon Park History (approx. half a mile away); DeDroit Residence (approx. half a mile away); Captain Cooley's House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.