Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Whitney in St. Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Union United Methodist Church

St. Clair County

 
 
Union United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 12, 2020
1. Union United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1815, Revolutionary War Veteran Captain Edward Beeson received a grant for this land for providing provisons to Andrew Jackson's Tennessee Militia. In 1830, Beeson and other community members constructed a log church here. In 1885, William Spruell Beason deeded the property to the Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States. the church built a new frame structure in 1885 to replace the old log church. The new building also served as a subscription school, which meant the community paid and boarded a teacher to educate forty students at the church. The church burned in 1919 and was rebuilt with lumber milled on the site by the Hinton, Staton, Rickles, Bowlin, and Beason families. Electric lighting was added in 1944 and a coal-burning stove was used until 1965. In 1939, the church merged with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Attendance diminished and services were discontinued in 1977. In 1981, the Beason family formed Union Cemetery Association and the North Alabama Conference deeded the church to the group in 1982. The Association continues to maintain the property and uses it for reunions, weddings, funerals, and music programs.
Union United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, September 12, 2020
2. Union United Methodist Church Marker
It has served as the polling place for Slate Union Precinct for many years.
Listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1978
 
Erected 2017 by Union Cemetery Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 33° 53.515′ N, 86° 18.281′ W. Marker is near Whitney, Alabama, in St. Clair County. Marker is on Beason Cove Road 0.1 miles east of Curt Hinton Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 396 Beason Grove Rd, Steele AL 35987, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A County Older Than The State, St. Clair (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Dean / Inzer House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Assassination Site of Sgt. E. Frank Harrison (approx. 4.9 miles away); Dalco Obed Langston (approx. 5 miles away); John Ash (approx. 5.1 miles away); Antioch Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Original Site of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); John Looney House (approx. 8.1 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 30, 2020