Gormania in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Grant County / State of Maryland
Grant County. Formed in 1866 from Hardy. Named for General Grant, later President. At the northwestern corner is the Fairfax Stone, which established the limits of the lands of Lord Fairfax. The county has many mountain peaks and beautiful scenery.
State of Maryland. Named for Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of Charles I, who gave a royal charter to Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, in 1632. First settlement at Saint Mary’s City in 1634. It was one of the 13 original colonies.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant, the West Virginia Archives and History, and the West Virginia State Border Markers series lists.
Location. 39° 17.604′ N, 79° 20.745′ W. Marker is in Gormania, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of George Washington Highway (U.S. 50) and Mavis Avenue, on the right when traveling west on George Washington Highway. It is at the bridge that Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gormania WV 26720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Civil War Fort Pendleton (approx. half a mile away in Maryland); Fort Ogden (approx. 3 miles away); By King’s Command (approx. 3 miles away); Highest Point on the Maryland State Roads System (approx. 3.8 miles away in Maryland); Honor Roll (approx. 5.7 miles away); In Honor (approx. 5.8 miles away); "McCulloch’s Path" (approx. 6.4 miles away in Maryland); You Were Gone Before We Knew It (approx. 7½ miles away in Maryland).
More about this marker. Gormania is on the West Virginia side of the Potomac River, which is very close to its headwaters. The railroad which follows the river is the former Western Maryland Railway main line between Baltimore and Elkins, West Virginia, now a CSX branch line between Westernport Maryland and Elkins, West Virginia.
Also see . . . History of Mt. Storm Community. Written by D. W. Idelman in 1927. “The town which now has a population of about 400 inhabitants began its history when the country was opened up by the completion of the Northwestern Turnpike a few years prior to 1840. It was within this year that Jacob Schaeffer, grand father of J. R. Schaeffer, established himself here as the first settler in the place. He erected a log building which served as a dwelling and a store house combined. The place then received the name of Schaeffersville and Mr. Schaeffer became the first post master of the place. He had a tannery here also, and was toll collector for the Northwestern Turnpike.
“The present town as we see it today began its growth when (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on September 18, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on July 11, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.