New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Joseph Landa purchased the land that now encompasses this park in 1859. The Comal Springs, the largest group of springs in the American Southwest, are the focus of the park. Landa used the Comal River to power gristmills, cotton and woolen factories, an ice plant and a brewery. During the Civil War, a saltpeter processing plant was also located on the site.
Joseph's son Harry Landa opened Landa's Park as a tourist site in 1898, when the International and Great Northern Railroad built a spur to the site. By 1900, both the I&GN and the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) railroads ran weekend excursion trains to the park, where visitors enjoyed picnics, dancing and steamboat excursions on Landa Lake. Landa later sold the park to a San Antonio investment group, who operated it until financial problems caused the park's closure in 1933. In 1936, concerned citizens led by Erhard P. Nowotny petitioned the City of New Braunfels to purchase the park, and city residents voted three to one in favor of the move. The park has remained open to the public since that time.
Throughout the years the park has grown in acreage, and many improvements
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16021.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 29° 42.689′ N, 98° 8.164′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Landa Park Drive (California Boulevard) and Monument Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founder's Oak (a few steps from this marker); New Braunfels (within shouting distance of this marker); Comal Springs (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Patented Wire Fence (approx. half a mile 1915 New Braunfels Post Office (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named New Braunfels (approx. 0.9 miles away); Comal County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Old Schmitz Hotel (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
Also see . . . Landa Park. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.