Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Central Business District in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John Lynch

 
 
John Lynch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, October 1, 2015
1. John Lynch Marker
Inscription.  
The Blue Ridge Chapter
of the
Daughters of the American Revolution
erects this tablet to the memory of
John Lynch
The Founder of Lynchburg.
Incorporated
1786

 
Erected 1912 by Blue Ridge Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 37° 24.852′ N, 79° 8.601′ W. Marker is in the Central Business District in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Church Street and 9th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (a few steps from this marker); Lynchburg (a few steps from this marker); Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Carter Glass (within shouting distance of this
John Lynch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, October 1, 2015
2. John Lynch Marker
(marker visible on staircase landing)
marker); Lynchburg History (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lynchburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Central Business District.
 
Also see . . .  Lynchburg History: John Lynch. In 1757, John Lynch stood on the bank of the James River (then known as the Fluvanna River), watching as it rushed along. Nearby was a ford that people used to transport goods across the river to other parts of the Virginia colony. It was here, at the age of 17, that John Lynch started a ferry service that would transform the area. The area grew into a village that people called Lynch’s Ferry. (Submitted on September 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 27, 2020