Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Gatehouse Story
In October, 1995, Hillside Garden Club won the prestigious Common Wealth Award from the Garden Club of Virginia for a proposed Information Gatehouse and expanded entry for the Old City Cemetery. The old brick gates, which had been designed by J. Everette Fauber, Jr. and built in 1974 by the local Colonial Dames Committee, no longer seemed adequate in view of the newly widened Taylor Street approach to the cemetery. There was also the need for an information center to act as a starting point for visitors to the recently restored cemetery.
Thus the Award provided the impetus for a Southern Memorial Association Design Committee to translate the idea into a practical reality. With plans in hand, bids were sought from local contractors. Rather than offer a price, the Central Virginia Professional Estimators Association returned with an offer of volunteer labor and materials to build the Gatehouse at no cost whatsoever. Consequently, the Common Wealth Award money could be spent on permanent historic interpretation displays to be housed inside the gatehouse.
The Gatehouse labor of love was performed mostly on weekends and holidays
Completed in April 1997, this gift to the City of Lynchburg had a value of $25,000, but embodied an immeasurable quantity of respect and caring for this treasured local historic landmark.
Rosie Gantt, L.G. Flint, Inc.
Coordinator and Chief Recruiter
Eric Rowe, Smith-Wimer, Inc. Bill Robertson, Lynchburg Ready-Mix Concrete Co., Inc. Zane Robertson Richard McGann, McGann Masonry Bobby Stinnette, Commercial Masonry Old Virginia Brick Ed Craighill, Wayne Kidd, Inc. Roofing Paul Lang, Woodall and Lang Bill Jamerson, J.E. Jamerson & Sons, Inc. Randy Gantt, R.M. Gantt, Inc. Campbell-Payne, Inc. Taylor Brothers, Inc. Commercial Glass and Plastics, Inc. Bob Jones Paint Contractor Gary Sale, Sale Concrete Construction, Inc. John Lonsky L.G. Flint, Inc. Randy Parr, Lynchburg Restoration, Inc. Lynchburg Ready-Mix Concrete Co., Inc. Bailey Spencer Hardware Company, Inc. Pearson Equipment Company Aztec Rental Center City of Lynchburg, Department of Public Works, Division of Public Services
Parks Snead, Jr., Architect
Jane B. White, Cemetery Restoration Chairman
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1997.
Location. 37° 24.831′ N, 79° 9.312′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 4th Street and Taylor Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at waist-level, directly on the gatehouse wall, at the Old City Cemetery entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Cemetery (here, next to this marker); War of 1812 Veterans (here, next to this marker); William Henry "Billy" Rhodes (a few steps from this marker); Four Little Boys (a few steps from this marker); James River Suicide (a few steps from this marker); 1858 Map of Old City Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); The Beale Treasure (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary War Veterans Buried in the Cemetery (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery (Wikipedia). The Old City Cemetery (Submitted on September 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.