Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The McNab Grocery
After the Civil War Ahab Bowen acquired this land, then an area of grape vineyards and small farms. In 1891 he sold the lot to J. B. Franklin, who erected this brick structure. James McNab (d. 1924) operated a neighborhood grocery here in partnership with William A. Boren and Thomas M. Cullum, who later founded the Cullum and Boren Sporting Goods business. A livery stable in the rear housed a horse and delivery wagon. Civic leader Frederick Appel retained part ownership in the building until his death in 1943. Other grocers occupied the structure until the 1950s.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6783.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 47.865′ N, 96° 48.09′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of McKinney Avenue and Boll Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2701 McKinney Avenue, Dallas TX 75204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ahab Bowen Home (within shouting distance Maple Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas L. Bradford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel C.C. Slaughter (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Temple Emanu-El Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Pike Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The marker is inside on the left wall of the S & D Oyster Company restaurant.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.