Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Local legend tells of Dr. Asa Hoxey who, celebrating the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836, moved to change the name of Coles Settlement to Independence. Actual County records show an 1835 origin for the town of Independence with C. Baker, J. G. W. Pierson, A. F. Burchard, and R. Stevenson, proprietors.
The still-strong Independence Baptist Church was established in 1839 with pastor T. W. Cox. Local resident Sam Houston was baptized in Little Rocky Creek in 1854. The wealthiest town in Texas by 1845, Independence won the bid for Baylor University, newly chartered by the Republic of Texas. J. B. Root became its first U.S. Postmaster in 1846. By the 1850s Independence had a hotel, jail, stagecoach depot, masonic lodge, cemetery, and small commercial district.
Both the city leaders and Baylor Administrators refused to grant right-of-way to the Santa Fe railroad. By the 1880s, trade was going to competing towns and Independence began to decline. Baylor University moved its schools to Waco and Belton in 1886. By the 1990s, Independence was a rural community with a population of 140. Remaining attractions include
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12284.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 30° 19.194′ N, 96° 20.684′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of La Bahia Trail (Farm to Market Road 390) and McKnight Road, on the right when traveling west on La Bahia Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Independence Postal Service (here, next to this marker); Site of Mustering of a Unit of Hood's Texas Brigade, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Site of Independence School (here, next to this marker); Margaret Moffette Lea Houston (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Houston-Lea Family Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Old Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Home Built in 1845 by General Jerome B. Robertson (approx. ¼ mile away); A College Town (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . Independence Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on September 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.