Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Perryville in Perry County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Perryville

 
 
City of Perryville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 17, 2015
1. City of Perryville Marker
Inscription.  Among early settlers were Price, Houston, Greathouse, Rison, Blackwell, Buckingham and Bland. Perryville was named after Commodore Oliver H. Perry, established as a county seat 1840 and incorporated as a town in 1878. First church organized in Rison home in 1845, first school in 1849.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series list.
 
Location. 35° 0.225′ N, 92° 48.15′ W. Marker is in Perryville, Arkansas, in Perry County. Marker is on South Pine Street south of A Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted in the front yard of the house at this address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 South Pine Street, Perryville AR 72126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Perry County Court House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Perry County in the Civil War
City of Perryville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 17, 2015
2. City of Perryville Marker
(about 500 feet away); Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton (approx. 13 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Early Perryville Settlers. The earliest recorded settlers near the area were the Prices in 1808. John Price, of that family, settled on land later known as Old Perryville in the 1830s. At the outset, John L. Houston’s home doubled as a temporary justice building and mail delivery station. In 1847, John L. Houston had a ferry making runs across the Fourche. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Perryville, Arkansas (Wikipedia). John Rison and his new wife, Harriet, moved to Perryville in 1844 and started the community's first church, a Methodist congregation. Their log home became a community gathering place and is now the oldest building in Perryville. In 1849, Rison bought six lots across from his home to build a log store and a schoolhouse. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 20, 2020