Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Equipment Typical of Early Texas Logging
One of last ox-drawn or mule-drawn carts skidding logs to railroad from the forests. Built 1950 for W. T. Carter & Brother, a lumber firm, and replaced 1951 by tractor-powered equipment, this slip-tongue, high wheel cart is a relic of early logging methods.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6991.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
Location. 31° 21.02′ N, 94° 42.287′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Atkinson Drive (State Highway 103) and Goleta Avenue. The marker is currently inside of the Texas Forestry Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1903 Atkinson Drive, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads (a few steps from this marker); Mantooth Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); Angelina (approx. 1.3 miles away); Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal ChurchAngelina & Neches River Railroad (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 1½ miles away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.