Belleville in Yell County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Located two and a half miles south was Monrovia, the first county seat of Yell County, and home of William Peavey. Monrovia holds the distinction of having the first post office in the county interior, established February 1828 with W.H. Peavey Post Master.
Erected 2007 by Yell County Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1828.
Location. 35° 5.542′ N, 93° 26.88′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Arkansas, in Yell County. Marker is on Arkansas Route 10 just east of Main Street (Arkansas Route 307), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville AR 72824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yell County First Court House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mount Nebo (approx. 14.4 miles away); Stinnets Station (approx. 16.1 miles away).
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. Yell County Seat History
Also see . . . Yell County History. In 1840, the first county seat was established at the Monrovia settlement, five miles northwest of Danville. The seat was soon moved to Danville, where the first courthouse was erected in 1844. (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.