Near Glasgow in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Hundreds of Delaware
What is a Hundred?
A hundred is an old English subdivision of a county. Although the origin is somewhat shrouded in mystery, basically it was a tract of land large enough to provide a hundred men to serve the king’s wars. In American colonies that hundred men would have been known as militiamen.
The name was used in many colonies but survived in America only in Delaware, probably because there the counties were all established so early - by 1680 - that little reorganization was needed. In New England, the newer English term, town, replaced hundred, and in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the term township was adopted. Most states today are divided into counties, then into Ward, Township, Parish, Precinct, or District.
For Delaware, the origin is cited in a letter written in 1682 by William Penn, the newly appointed Lord Proprietor of the province of Pennsylvania and the counties on the Delaware. Penn directed that from this point forward, settlements be divided into sections of 100 families; each family would have an average of about ten members (including servants). The first use of the term Hundred in official
Whatever its origin or intended significance, Delaware is the only state in which hundreds exist in the United States and possibly in the world. Other states such as Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia once used hundreds as a county division but the only remaining evidence would be an occasional location with its name ending in “hundred”. Maryland had stopped using the hundred by 1825. Some of the hundreds in Cecil County, MD were North Milford (containing Elkton), South Milford, Elk Neck, Back Creek, East Nottingham and Susquehanna.
Erected by Pencader Heritage Area Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1682.
Location. 39° 36.462′ N, 75° 43.614′ W. Marker is near Glasgow, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Pulaski Highway (U.S. 40). The marker is in Glasgow Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2275 Pulaski Highway, Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delaware Militia (here, next to this marker); Exploring the Past of Pencader Hundred (here, next to this Historic Iron Ore Mining (here, next to this marker); Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of Delaware (here, next to this marker); The March Through Pencader (here, next to this marker); Marquis de Lafayette (here, next to this marker); Pencader Presbyterian Church (approx. one mile away); Aiken's Tavern Historic District (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glasgow.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on September 28, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on October 12, 2019, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.