Colebrook in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
— Colebrook’s 250th Celebration —
• Before 1927, Karl and Charlotte Edwards ran a grocery store from this site.
• In 1927, Sam & Susie Keach moved their restaurant, originally known as the Legion Square Restaurant, to this site. They changed the name to Legion Restaurant.
• Lawrence & Theresa Moren took over the operating of the restaurant in 1967.
• In the 1970's, Ray Hamel Sr. purchased the business and changed the name to the Wilderness Restaurant. In 1975, the south side of the building became the Cedar Lounge.
• In 1980, Raymond Sr. sold the business to his son, Raymond Hamel Jr., the current owner.
Fun Fact -
This restaurant has been serving breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the past 93 years And, where the lounge is today was a bowling alley from 1935-1944.
Erected by Colebrook Area Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Location. 44° 53.559′ N, 71° 29.845′ W. Marker is in Colebrook, New Hampshire, in Coos CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 94 South Main Street, Colebrook NH 03576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Remick Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Citizen’s Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Jenkins Funeral (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sutton Place (about 500 feet away); Hicks Hardware (about 500 feet away); Country Roots (about 600 feet away); The Coos Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Metallak (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colebrook.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. photo of the building • Can you help?