Colebrook in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Colebrooks 250th Celebration
The original building on this site was the Pitkin's Store, which burned in 1870.
In 1886, W. E. Drew bought the rebuilt store and refitted the building. It became known as Drew & Churchill. It burned in the fire of 1901.
Warren Drew rebuilt a two-story structure and the Colebrook Hardware Store opened in the northern section, advertising entrances from Pleasant Street and Main Street, still in use today.
Apartments and businesses have utilized the upstairs over the years.
In 1956, the building was sold to Parker A. Hicks,Sr. He continued the hardware business until his death in 1965.
Richard and Parker (Jr) inherited the business, continuing the hardware store and incorporating it with Hicks Lumber Yard. In 1971, Richard became the sole owner, later converting to P.A. Hicks & Sons.
In 2006 & 2007, this building was completely remodeled and Hicks Hardware expanded into the entire Union Block.
Fun Fact -
Colebrook had its first telephone in 1876. The New England Telephone Co. was located upstairs in this building from 1930's until 1965 when the dial system
Erected by Colebrook Area Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 44° 53.642′ N, 71° 29.795′ W. Marker is in Colebrook, New Hampshire, in Coos County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 3) and Pleasant Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Main Street, Colebrook NH 03576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sutton Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Country Roots (within shouting distance of this marker); Jenkins Funeral (within shouting distance of this marker); Citizens Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilderness Restaurant (about 500 feet away); Remick Building (about 600 feet away); The Coos Trail (approx. half a mile away); Metallak (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colebrook.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.