Colebrook in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
— Colebrook’s 250th Celebration —
• In earlier days, this was referred to as the Drew Block. It was built in 1890 as a two-story building. The third story was added a short time later.
• Like other store fronts in town, it has a north and south side and has housed different ventures over the years.
• The North side housed the Post Office until around 1901, followed over time by Sears Catalog Sales, Bernie's Superette, then Marty's Superette & Big Ed's Variety, even a pet groomer and this 'n that shop. Today you can get a new hairdo at Country Roots Hair Salon.
• Some may remember the State Liquor Store, various plumbing & heating businesses, Radio Shack, Oasis Waterbeds & Videos or that the present day First Run Pizza was originally housed on the South side.
Fun Fact -
From 1899 to 1913, the Farmers & Traders Bank was located on the south side, with the Colebrook National Guaranty Savings Bank its next "building” neighbor.
Erected by Colebrook Area Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 Main Street, Colebrook NH 03576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hicks Hardware (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutton Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Jenkins Funeral (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Citizen’s Bank (about 400 feet away); Wilderness Restaurant (about 600 feet away); Remick Building (about 700 feet away); The Coos Trail (approx. half a mile away); Metallak (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colebrook.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.