History of the Alameda Belt Line
In 1924 the City Council voted to extend the railroad to Sherman Street in order to serve the California Packing Corporation's Del Monte warehouse and the Alaska Packers Association. On December 15 of that same year, the City sold its railroad to the Western Pacific Railroad and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway for $30,000. Less than a month later, the new owners incorporated as the Alameda Belt Line (ABL). By the end of 1928, ABL had added 5.6 miles of tracks, including in the railroad yard that is now Jean Sweeney Open Space Park.
ABL served Alameda's north shore for seventy years, closing on November 10, 1998. The Union Pacific
Credit: Dennis Evanosky, Alameda Museum
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 37° 46.748′ N, 122° 15.907′ W. Marker is in Alameda, California, in Alameda County. It is in West Alameda. Marker can be reached from Atlantic Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alameda CA 94501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jean Sweeney - Alameda's "Little Engine That Could" (within shouting distance of this marker); 930 Pacific Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Transcontinental Railroad (approx. 0.7 miles away); 1930 Where the World Comes to Oakland (approx. 0.7 miles away); The History of the Site of the Shade Tree (approx. ¾ mile away); 1920 Moving the World's Cargo (approx. ¾ mile away); U.S. Maritime Officers Memorial (approx. one mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alameda.
More about this marker. The marker is located within the Jean Sweeney Open Space Park, a bit south and west of the parking lot.
Also see . . . Alameda Belt Line (Wikipedia).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 228 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 29, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.