Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McComb in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

McComb First Presbyterian Church

Built 1855-56

 
 
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
1. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  (side a)
Organization of the congregation began in 1848 under the Rev. George Van Eman, and a charter was granted in 1854. The oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Hancock County, the sanctuary was constructed in 1855-56. Members of the congregation included first Congressional Medal of Honor recipients John R. Porter and William Bennsinger, honored for their exploits as members of Andrews Raiders during the Civil War.

(side b)
Captain Issac Cusac, Civil War hero, was a member of the congregation and married the daughter of Rev. Van Eman, first minister of the congregation. Also, in this building, one of the first Boy Scout Troops in America was organized by Rev. Alexander in 1910.
 
Erected 1984 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-32.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsRailroads & Streetcars
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
2. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 41° 6.387′ N, 83° 47.731′ W. Marker is in McComb, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Street and West South Street, on the right when traveling south on South Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 S Church St, Mc Comb OH 45858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McComb Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); McComb (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I and II Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Bensinger and John R. Porter (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Village of McComb (approx. 0.6 miles away); Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead (approx. 3.6 miles away); Indian Green Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McComb.
 
More about this marker. This historical marker is misnumbered on its face. The number shown, 9-32, duplicates the number of an earlier marker. This marker is numbered 10-32 on The Ohio Historical Society list.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  McComb First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on April 7, 2016.)
 
Additional keywords.
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
3. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
Great Locomotive Chase
 
McComb First Presbyterian Church Bell image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
4. McComb First Presbyterian Church Bell
McComb First Presbyterian Church sign image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
5. McComb First Presbyterian Church sign
The 4-4-0 locomotive "General", stolen by these men from Ohio, in 1862 image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
6. The 4-4-0 locomotive "General", stolen by these men from Ohio, in 1862
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2016. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on September 30, 2020, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=157030

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021