Milton Section of Oak Ridge in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Settled at the end of the 18th century by Cornelius Davenport, Milton village has continued to be a commercial center for the township. Davenport's stone house/store/tavern, his mills, and his Swedeland forge are now archaeological sites. Later another store, hotels, two churches, and a blacksmith shop were added, and 14 houses show on an 1887 map. In the 20th century, almost all of the early buildings were modernized, destroyed, or replaced by newer ones. The village now has a significant 1930s character. It has been found eligible for listing on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 1.186′ N, 74° 31.646′ W. Marker is in Milton Section of Oak Ridge, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Dover-Milton Road and Milton Road, on the left when traveling south on Dover-Milton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oak Ridge NJ 07438, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Chamberlain House (within shouting Ringling Manor-1916 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bicentennial Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Roll of Honor (approx. 1.1 miles away); Remembrance (approx. 1.1 miles away); Township of Jefferson Veterans Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); WTC Artifact #K-0010 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Morris County (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2017. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on October 1, 2020. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.