Ephraim in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Permanent Colony in Door County
A.M. Iverson, Pastor
landed May, 1853,
forming the first
in Door County
Location. 45° 9.329′ N, 87° 10.237′ W. Marker is in Ephraim, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker is on Water Street (State Highway 42) north of Cherry Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ephraim WI 54211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anderson Dock (approx. half a mile away); A Road Less Traveled (approx. 1.2 miles away); Life on the Ledge (approx. 1.4 miles away); A State Park System is Formed (approx. 1.6 miles away); Island Paradise (approx. 2.8 miles away); Village of Sister Bay (approx. 3.3 miles away); Nature of Sister Bay (approx. 3.3 miles away); Oak Leaf Anchor (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Ephraim. (Submitted on January 29, 2009.)
2. Ephraim's Founding Father. "Iverson's first view of the area that would become Ephraim came from Eagle Island, now known as Horseshoe Island. The visit to the island, owned by fellow Norwegian immigrant Ole Larsen, was the culmination of a series of events and personal connections coupled with a strong desire to create a home for his budding congregation." (Submitted on January 29, 2009.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for First Permanent Colony in Door County.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.