Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Kammlah House
Four front rooms with outside stair to attic built 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah I smokehouse and rooms at rear added 1875. Old world technique of wall plaster over woven twig supports used in interior. Henry Kammlah II and wife Amelia, opened a general store in front room in 1870. This was continued by Henry III until 1924. House purchased 1956 and restored as museum by Gillespie County Historical Society.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States department of the Interior
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10064.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 16.675′ N, 98° 52.588′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 290) 0.1 miles from South Orange Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meckel - Hanus Building (a few steps from this marker); Gun Cap Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche) (about 500 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Meinhardt-Pfeil Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loeffler - Weber House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Old Kammlah House history. Fredericksburg's Standard (Submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.