Canaseraga in Allegany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of First School House
School House in Town of Burns
David Crook, first teacher
Erected by NY State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 42° 27.588′ N, 77° 47.297′ W. Marker is in Canaseraga, New York, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 70) and Freiner Rd, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canaseraga NY 14822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canaseraga Four Corners Historic District (approx. half a mile away); First House in Canaseraga (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Hairy Legend (approx. 2.3 miles away); One Room School (approx. 3½ miles away); Ossian Center (approx. 4.3 miles away); Isaac Hampton (approx. 4.3 miles away); Gambrel Roofed Barn (approx. 4½ miles away); The First Presbyterian Church of Ossian (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canaseraga.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2020, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2020, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.