Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Cumberland Hill School
One of the first brick schools in Dallas system, this Victorian building was constructed in 1888 on the site of a pre-Civil War school organized by Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Dallas. In early decades this school drew pupils from several areas. Many students arrived each day in handsome carriages. In later times the student body came from many different nationalities, giving rise to nickname "Melting Pot School." From 1963 to 1969 the building housed a progressive vocational center, teaching construction trades to citizens of area.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6662.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education.
Location. 32° 47.226′ N, 96° 48.172′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on North Akard Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1901 N Akard Street, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Dallas (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist ChurchA. H. Belo House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Dallas Symphony (approx. ¼ mile away); Central National Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Site of Neiman-Marcus (approx. 0.4 miles away); Busch-Kirby Building (approx. half a mile away); Site of Sanger Brothers Department Store (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.