Center Point in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Center Point United Methodist Church
In 1852, before there was a town here, Mrs. Henrietta Rees and her children came from Tennessee. Soon, she arranged for Methodist Circuit Riders to come to this area. One acre was bought for a Church in 1872 from W. G. ("Gabe") Cocke and his wife Vanilla. About 1876 the Rev. W. E. Pafford and Turley Cocke built a Church house. This site was purchased in 1883 from James Sellers. After a storm destroyed the first building under construction, a second was erected. This third structure was completed in 1911 by the men of the congregation.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 787.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 56.603′ N, 99° 2.122′ W. Marker is in Center Point, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Church Street just north of China Street (Farm to Market Road 1350), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 Church Street, Center Point TX 78010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Center Point Christian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in Camp Verde, Texas (about 500 feet away); Center Point, Texas (about 500 feet away); Woolls Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Center Point School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rising Star Lodge No. 429, A.F.& A.M (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mosty Brothers Nursery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Zanzenberg (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.