Near Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
The Taylors Creek Methodist Church edifice built here in 1841, was in use for 101 years, until in 1942 the site was taken over by the United States Government to become a part of the Fort Stewart area.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
Location. 31° 56.112′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stewart GA 31315, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry (approx. 3.3 miles away); Flemington Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bradwell Institute (approx. 6.4 miles away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Charlton Hines House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Morris Cannon (approx. 6.8 miles away); Liberty County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hinesville.
Regarding Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery. Taylors Creek was named for the Taylor brothers, James and William, who obtained land grants in 1760 on the banks of the creeks in this area. The community was one of the earliest settlements in Liberty County. Robert Hendry, whose family is mentioned on the marker, was a hero in the Revolutionary War.
The community had a school, Liberty Institute, and a tile-covered tabernacle, with small wooden cottages for church members. The community was in decline by the end of the 19th century, but the school and church continued until the government purchased the area in 1941 for Fort Stewart. Only the cemetery remains today.
Also see . . . General Sherman's Men Did Not Burn the Church. Legend has it that the church was spared destruction during General Sherman's March to the Sea because a masonic symbol was displayed on the church exterior. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,859 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.