Center Point in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Center Point School
Prior to the settlement of the community of Zanzenberg and Center Point, school was taught in shacks and homes. From 1873-1875, B.F. Johnson taught classes in the first school held in various buildings in the area. From 1876-1884, the Center Point Academy served as the community's school. In 1884, Dr. J.C. Nowlin donated an acre of land for a school building and a plank building was erected. In 1910, San Antonio Architect Alfred Giles designed and J. V. Oppert built a two story limestone building. The school officially opened for classes in the fall of 1911. Students still receive an education in the original limestone building which serves as an educational and social hub for Center Point.
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836-2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9791.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 29° 56.514′ N, 99° 1.995′ W. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 China Street, Center Point TX 78010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Center Point Christian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Center Point United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Verde, Texas (approx. Ό mile away); Center Point, Texas (approx. Ό mile away); Mosty Brothers Nursery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woolls Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rising Star Lodge No. 429, A.F.& A.M (approx. 0.3 miles away); N.O. Reynolds (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center Point.
Also see . . . Center Point Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.