Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Frank E. and Eva L. Manning
In 1853 James Buchanan, president of the Board of Trustees and later the fifteenth president of the United States, chose this as the site of the newly merged Franklin & Marshall College. The College Building, which became known as Old Main in the twentieth century, is an early and distinctive use of the Gothic Revival style for an American college campus. Designed by the Baltimore architectural firm Dixon, Balbirnie & Dixon and constructed beginning in 1854, the College Building was dedicated on May 16, 1856. It was flanked by two student literary society buildings. Goethean and Diagnothian Halls, which opened in 1857.
Shadek-Fackenthal Library and Keiper Liberal Arts buildings, erected in 1937 and 1935, respectively, define the southern and northern ends of Alumni Greens.
Old Main is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The symbolic heart of the campus, Alumni Green honors Frank E. '42 and Eva L. Manning as well as members of the Franklin & Marshall Alumni Association who have contributed generously to the college.
Erected by Franklin & Marshall
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #15 James Buchanan series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 16, 1856.
Location. 40° 2.734′ N, 76° 19.192′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on West Frederick Street east of Race Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 637 College Avenue, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benjamin Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); John Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitehead Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Klauder-Apple Walk (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin & Marshall College September 11 Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Water Towers in Buchanan Park (about 400 feet away); The Richard Kneedler Sculpture Garden (about 600 feet away); Franklin & Marshall College (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 188 times since then. Last updated on October 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.