Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
The Divine Word Missionaries began school for black youth here in 1913. In 1920, led by Fr. Matthew Christmann, they founded St. Augustine Seminary, first seminary in U. S. for training African-American priests. The seminary moved to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in 1923. In 1928 Fr. Anthony Jacobs led Parish in building Romanesque Revival Church.
Erected 1992 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 33° 24.589′ N, 91° 2.635′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is on East Gloster Street west of Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 East Gloster St, Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coleman High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nelson Street (approx. half a mile away); The Courthouse ArboretumWashington County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); The King's Daughters Hospital (approx. 0.6 miles away); Walker Percy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Shelby Foote (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mt. Horeb M.B. Church (approx. Ύ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.