Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Site of St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Anglicans in Bellville began gathering for informal worship services in the 1850s at the home of Bellville attorney Nehemiah Holland. In 1861, Bishop Alexander Gregg held the first official service in the Masonic Lodge building, under the leadership of the Rev. Daniel Shaver, St. Mary's was admitted to the diocese of Texas as a new congregation the following year. Charter members included Nehemiah Holland, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin T. Harris, Charles H. Harris, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Reese Blake, William and Sarah Paine Thompson, and Robert and Rebecca Chambers Paine.
A period of marked growth during the 1870s under the leadership of the Rev. Lindsey P. Rucker and dedicated lay members led to the purchase of property at this site, and the congregation constructed Bellville's first church building. Described as a wooden structure with Gothic revival features and stained glass windows from Munich, Germany , the building was consecrated in 1881. the first funeral in the new church building was for Nehemiah Holland, considered to be St. Mary's founder.
After 80 years of service to the congregation, the original building
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 57.09′ N, 96° 15.499′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Masonic Street and West Main Street (State Highway 36), on the left when traveling north on North Masonic Street. The marker is located on the north side of the church by the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 North Masonic Street, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Bellville (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bellville (about 700 feet away); Austin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Harigel HouseBellville General Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Early History of Bellville Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.