Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early History of Bellville Methodist Church
The heritage of Bellville Methodist Church dates to 1822, when Thomas B. Bell came to Texas from Florida with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. He settled in an area west of the Brazos River, and donated fifty acres of land between Piney and Caney Creeks to be used for a church and camp meetings when Methodist Missionary Henry Stephenson arrived in Texas in 1834, he found plans underway for a camp meeting. At an 1835 meeting, future Alamo hero William Barret Travis was a featured speaker, and promised to assist in the effort to bring Methodist preachers to Texas. Missionary Robert Alexander conducted services at the Caney Creek Camp meeting site in August 1839.
Methodists continued to use the campground for worship services until the early 1880s, when the land was sold. Funds from the sale were used to build a German Methodist Episcopal Church in Bellville in 1882. The building was used by German and English speaking congregations on alternate Sundays. The Methodist Episcopal Church, south, was organized in 1886, and a new sanctuary was completed on this site that year. The Rev. J.P. Childers served as the
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 366.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 56.897′ N, 96° 15.598′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Masonic Street and West Lewis Street, on the left when traveling north on South Masonic Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 234 South Masonic Street, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bellville (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Harigel House (about 800 feet away); Austin County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. ¼ mile away); First National Bank of Bellville (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bellville General Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.