Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1907 Herbert Marcus, Sr., his sister Carrie Marcus Neiman and her husband A. L. Neiman founded the prestigious Neiman-Marcus retail establishment. After the firm's first store at Elm and Murphy streets burned in 1913, a new store was constructed at this site. Many of the retail innovations instituted here have had a dramatic effect on stores and manufacturers throughout the country. Under the direction of Herbert Marcus, Sr., the store also became a leader in the support of philanthropic projects, civic activities and Dallas' early commercial development.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6797.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 46.849′ N, 96° 47.822′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on South Ervay Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1618 Main Street, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Busch-Kirby Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Magnolia (Mobil) BuildingA. H. Belo Corporation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dallas Morning News (approx. 0.2 miles away); Majestic Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Karl St. John Hoblitzelle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hilton Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adolphus Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.