Greenville in Washington County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Port City of the Delta. Named for Gen. Nathaneael Greene. Washington County seat since 1846. Destroyed in Civil War. Rebuilt on present site, 1865. Home of author Wm. A. Percy and publisher Hodding Carter.
Erected 1978 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 33° 23.958′ N, 91° 3.224′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Mississippi, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 278/82 and South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 278/82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville MS 38701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The King's Daughters Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Jerusalem M.B. Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shelby Foote (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walker Percy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pvt. Robert T. (Bobby) Henry The Courthouse Arboretum (approx. half a mile away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gamwyn Park (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
More about this marker. Located in the Fanny Arnold Park
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.